Friday, April 16, 2010

Whats with the "Fish out of water" lifestyle these days?

Something about these week has stirred up something in me that's urging a boldness to flow out of me. That being said, i'm simply talking about not allowing the world's opinions, much less my own selfish thoughts, to hold anything back when it comes to the TRUTH that has been implanted in me. The truth that is day in and out flowing constantly within me. A friend was talking with me at the kitchen table earlier this week and we were talking about seeing people raise from the dead and healing. I started telling her about how foolish it was for me to expect to see such things for myself until I truly grasp hold of the fact that i, myself, have been raised from the dead from a lifestyle of sin and death into new life on top of being healed into a brand new and pure creation from a ragged and dirty carnal minded person. As I was reading this morning in my book, something about this section stuck out to me. I want to share it with those of you who might could also place yourself in my shoes.

   When Jesusbreathed on the disciples in John 20:22 and said "Recieve the Holy Spirit," He was, in essence, both answering David's prayer and fulfilling Ezekiel's prophecy. The word for spirit in Greek is pneuma. In the Old Testament Hebrew it's ruach. Both can be translated "breath."
   Jesus came to breathe His breath--His sweetness, His completeness, His very being--into you and me so the He is the operating system to which we default. So that in Him "we live and move and have our being"(Acts 17:28).
   Trying to live apart from the Holy Spirit is like a goldfish trying to survive outside water. We may look alive. We may flop around a lot and move our mouths, making strange gasping noises now and then, but we will never know what it means to really live. To glide free, breathe, amd live effortlessly in the liquid life of grace.
   Too often, I fear, we Christians settle for this fish-out-of-water kind of existence. "Well, I'm just a sinner saved by grace," we gasp, as though that somehow excuses and explains away our spastic, flip-floppy behavior-- almost hold one moment, completely unholy the next.
   As though Christ's coming and dying did nothing more than secure for us a place in heaven.
   As though spritual mediocrity is the best we can hope for here on earth.
   As though God created us to be captives even though everything in the Bible says we've already been set free.
   Pastor Mark Buchanan, describes this halfway life too many Christians settle for as "conversion without regeneration, an initial encounter with Jesus that doesn't lead to a life abiding with Jesus." He calls it "borderland"
                                                                         
                                                                    excerpt from Having a Mary Spirit by Joanna Weaver

Im leaving you with this verse until the next time I get around to this, "Let us examine our ways and test them, and let us return to the Lord." Lamentations 3:40

1 comment: